(extract from Constitution dated October 2013)
5.3 The Board shall consist of seven persons comprising:
- Two persons elected by Forest Owners each having less than 1,000 hectares of plantation forest. Voting shall be counted on the basis of one vote per Forest Owner per vacancy.
- Four persons elected by Forest Owners each having more than 1,000 hectares of plantation forest. Voting for each nominee shall be counted in proportion to the voter's Forest Production for the previous year, with each voter being able to vote for each vacancy.
- One person appointed by the six persons elected in accordance with Rules 5.3a and 5.3b.
5.4 The following provisions apply to Board membership:
- Each calendar year after the Initial Election an election shall be held.
- At the first such election voting shall take place to fill any Board vacancy that has arisen since the previous election, regardless of whether the vacancy remains or has been filled by an interim appointment by the Board, with the election for each such vacancy taking place in accordance with Rule 5.3a or 5.3b depending on the origin of the vacancy.
- At the second such election one half of the elected Board Members shall retire, as determined by agreement or in the absence of agreement, by lot. Such retirees shall be eligible for re-election. The retirements shall occur to maintain the same balance of Board membership as provided for in Rule 5.3. This election shall also cover any casual vacancy that has arisen since the previous election, regardless of whether the vacancy remains or has been filled by an interim appointment by the Board.
- The third election shall deal only with the filling by election of any casual vacancies, on the same basis as Rule 5.4b.
- At the fourth election the elected Board Members not affected by the second year election shall retire and shall be eligible for re-election. As with each election casual vacancies shall be voted on also.
- An elected Board Member's term shall be four years excepting for those affected by the one-off second year election provision in Rule 5.4c. There is no limit on the number of terms available for Board members. The term of a Board Member appointed in accordance with Rule 5.3c shall be as determined by a majority vote of the elected Board Members at the time of appointment, and any such Board Member shall be eligible for reappointment for a further term or terms at the discretion of the elected Board Members.
- The election pattern as set out above will continue after the fourth year from the Initial Election, to the intent and effect that at every second election any elected Board Member whose election to office did not occur in either of the previous two elections shall retire, notwithstanding Rule 5.4f.
5.5 Subject to Rules 5.3, 5.4, and 5.6:
- the Initial Election and the process for nominating candidates for the Initial Election will be conducted at such time and in such manner as determined by the Referendum Board.
- all on-going elections and the processes for nominating candidates after the Initial Election will be conducted at such time and in such manner as determined from time to time by the Board.
5.6 Nominations for election to the Board shall be called by public notice and through industry communications at least three weeks before the date determined for the commencement of the election and the names of candidates and voting arrangements shall be announced by public notice and through industry communications at least two weeks before the conclusion of the election.
5.7 The Board Members shall appoint one of their number to act as Chair, who shall have no special voting or other powers by virtue of that office, other than the power to call and chair meetings in accordance with these Rules.
5.8 Should a vacancy arise on the Board through the resignation, removal from office, death, or disability of a Board Member, the remaining Board Members may continue to act notwithstanding that vacancy, and may appoint a replacement Board Member or Board Members as they see fit, to hold office on an interim basis until the next election.
5.9 If a person ceases to be a Board Member, that person must within one month of ceasing to hold office, give to the Board all Trust documents and property in his or her possession.
5.10 The Board may meet personally or by telephone, electronic or other linked form of joint communication. The Chair shall be responsible for calling meetings at such time and place as the Chair sees fit, although any two Board Members shall have the power to require the Chair to call a meeting.